Friday, November 9, 2012

Fighting Weight

I’ve known this since I stated out loud my goal to climb Mt. Hood.  I am not unaware or naïve.  I know that this endeavor, to climb the highest peak in Oregon, is more likely be a success if I can drop some weight.  I am not one of those people who claim to be healthy even though I am overweight.  Two blood tests at the naturopath confirm I have high triglycerides.  Too much sugar, too many carbs.  I’ve sat with this information for months and months and months doing nothing at all.  Until Monday.

Monday I started using a new app on my iPhone.  It tracks calories in, calories out.  I’ve lost 8 pounds since then. 

What’s the magic?

None of course.  I am hungry a lot.  I walk two miles every day.  I don’t eat the kids’ Halloween candy that thankfully is almost gone.

But so far, so good.  It’s a little weird, because this time I don’t feel like I’m going to die which is how I usually feel when I’m on a diet.  Irrationally, my brain tells me that controlling what I eat is like depriving myself and deprivation leads to death.  Craziness, right? 

I figure overthinking is going to jinx my efforts, so forget I said anything.  If I don’t notice I’m losing weight, if I just see it out of the corner of my eye but do not turn my head, maybe I can sneak up on this.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cloie! Your post inspired me, and oh, how I can relate! Then I read your whole blog and now I'm all revved up to close this computer and get out the door myself. Thanks!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the hardest thing to do! Changing a pattern. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete