Saturday, April 28, 2012

11,239 feet...pshaw

I'm reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.  I hadn't felt compelled to read this bestseller before now, but since I'll be a mountaineer come next April (smile), I thought it should make my list.  

It's a good read so far, though I wish there were more sensory details.  I'm about halfway in and I haven't felt the sub-zero temperatures.  Nor have I smelled the glaciers.  But maybe that will come?

In any case, this book is offers great perspective.  Mt. Hood is no Everest.  A piece of cake by comparison.  Easy as pie.  A walk in the park.  Like a knife through hot butter.  Climbing Mt. Everest is something entirely different.  I can only imagine what might fuel such an undertaking—insanity, obsession, a colossal ego, expendable fortunes, an expendable life?

The climb from Timberline Lodge to the summit is a short three mile climb.  5000 feet are gained in those three miles, but still.

Today's hike will be Triple Falls in the Gorge.  It's a little over four miles with a 740 feet elevation gain.  Gotta start somewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment